Yan, KK; Gerstein, M. 2011. The Spread of Scientific Information: Insights from the Web Usage Statistics in PLoS Article-Level Metrics. PLOS ONE 6 (5): art. no.-e19917

Sun Jul 10 13:51:57 EDT 2011

Yan, KK; Gerstein, M. 2011. The Spread of Scientific Information: Insights from
the Web Usage Statistics in PLoS Article-Level Metrics. PLOS ONE 6 (5): art.
no.-e19917..

Author Full Name(s): Yan, Koon-Kiu; Gerstein, Mark
Language: English
Document Type: Article
KeyWords Plus: SCIENCE; IMPACT; CITATIONS; SYSTEM

Abstract: The presence of web-based communities is a distinctive signature of
Web 2.0. The web-based feature means that information propagation within
each community is highly facilitated, promoting complex collective dynamics in
view of information exchange. In this work, we focus on a community of
scientists and study, in particular, how the awareness of a scientific paper is
spread. Our work is based on the web usage statistics obtained from the PLoS
Article Level Metrics dataset compiled by PLoS. The cumulative number of
HTML views was found to follow a long tail distribution which is reasonably well-
fitted by a lognormal one. We modeled the diffusion of information by a random
multiplicative process, and thus extracted the rates of information spread at
different stages after the publication of a paper. We found that the spread of
information displays two distinct decay regimes: a rapid downfall in the first
month after publication, and a gradual power law decay afterwards. We
identified these two regimes with two distinct driving processes: a short-term
behavior driven by the fame of a paper, and a long-term behavior consistent
with citation statistics. The patterns of information spread were found to be
remarkably similar in data from different journals, but there are intrinsic
differences for different types of web usage (HTML views and PDF downloads
versus XML). These similarities and differences shed light on the theoretical
understanding of different complex systems, as well as a better design of the
corresponding web applications that is of high potential marketing impact.

Addresses: [Yan, Koon-Kiu; Gerstein, Mark] Yale Univ, Dept Mol Biophys &
Biochem, New Haven, CT 06520 USA; [Yan, Koon-Kiu; Gerstein, Mark] Yale
Univ, Program Computat Biol & Bioinformat, New Haven, CT USA; [Gerstein,
Mark] Yale Univ, Dept Comp Sci, New Haven, CT 06520 USA
Reprint Address: Yan, KK, Yale Univ, Dept Mol Biophys & Biochem, New Haven,
CT 06520 USA.

E-mail Address: Mark.Gerstein at yale.edu
ISSN: 1932-6203
DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0019917