Meyer, M; Zaggl, MA; Carley, KM. 2011. Measuring CMOT's intellectual structure and its development. COMPUTATIONAL AND MATHEMATICAL ORGANIZATION THEORY 17 (1): 1-34

Fri Jul 8 14:50:06 EDT 2011

Meyer, M; Zaggl, MA; Carley, KM. 2011. Measuring CMOT's intellectual
structure and its development. COMPUTATIONAL AND MATHEMATICAL
ORGANIZATION THEORY 17 (1): 1-34.

Author Full Name(s): Meyer, Matthias; Zaggl, Michael A.; Carley, Kathleen M.
Language: English
Document Type: Article

Author Keywords: Citation analysis; Co-citation analysis; Computational
organization theory; Multidisciplinarity; Research foci; Sociology of science
KeyWords Plus: COCITATION ANALYSIS; CITATION ANALYSIS; SCIENCE
POLICY; MANAGEMENT; BIBLIOMETRICS; LIMITATIONS

Abstract: Computational Organization Theory is often described as a
multidisciplinary and fast-moving field which can make it difficult to keep track
of it. The recent inclusion of Computational and Mathematical Organization
Theory (CMOT) into the Social Science Citation Index offers a good reason to
take stock of what has happened since the foundation of the journal and to
analyze its intellectual structure and development from 1995 to 2008. We
identify the most influential publications by means of citation analysis and show
that a core of codified knowledge has developed over time. Additionally, we
provide empirical support for the characteristics generally ascribed to the
journal such as multidisciplinarity. Finally, we depict the main research foci in
CMOT's intellectual structure employing a co-citation analysis of publications
and investigate their development over time. Overall, our quantitative review
shows CMOT to be thematically focused on organizations, groups and networks
while being remarkably diverse in terms of theoretical approaches and methods
used.

Addresses: [Meyer, Matthias; Zaggl, Michael A.] Hamburg Univ Technol, Inst
Management Control & Accounting, Hamburg, Germany; [Carley, Kathleen M.]
Carnegie Mellon Univ, Inst Software Res, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 USA
Reprint Address: Meyer, M, Hamburg Univ Technol, Inst Management Control &
Accounting, Hamburg, Germany.

E-mail Address: matthias.meyer at tu-harburg.de; michael.zaggl at tu-harburg.de;
kathleen.carley at cs.cmu.edu
ISSN: 1381-298X