Eom, S. 2008. Decision Support Systems Research: Current State, Problems, and Future Directions. COLLABORATIVE DECISION MAKING: PERSPECTIVES AND CHALLENGES 176: 438-445

Sun Jan 30 15:51:10 EST 2011

Eom, S. 2008. Decision Support Systems Research: Current State, Problems,
and Future Directions. COLLABORATIVE DECISION MAKING: PERSPECTIVES AND
CHALLENGES 176: 438-445. edited by Zarate, P; Belaud, JP; Camilleri, G;
Ravat, F.presented at International Conference on Collaborative Decision
Making (CDM 08) in Toulouse, FRANCE, JUL 01-04, 2008.

Author Full Name(s): Eom, Sean
Book series title: Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications
Language: English
Document Type: Proceedings Paper

Author Keywords: Theory; Practice; Reference Disciplines; Dependent
Variables; Cumulative Research Tradition
KeyWords Plus: SCIENCE; DESIGN

Abstract: As the progress in the DSS area continues, periodic evaluations of
DSS research are often necessary to examine critical issues in DSS area. This
paper examines current state, problems, opportunities, and future research
directions of DSS research, and. Using author co-citation analysis approach,
this research provides the answers to the several key questions posed by Keen
and Kuhn. Kuhn believes that in order for any scientific communities to transit
from the pre- to post paradigm period, we need to know who we are as the
members of scientific community and what we share between the member of
the DSS area and what academics and practitioners in DSS share. Keen
addressed three main needs of MIS research to be a coherent field. They are
clarification of reference disciplines, defining the dependent variables, and
building a cumulative tradition. This research aims to answer those five
questions. We suggest that DSS researchers need to look at possible changes
of research directions from empirical research emphasis to broaden its scope to
take a new approach: the design science paradigm.

Addresses: SE Missouri State Univ, Dept Accounting & MIS, Cape Girardeau, MO
63701 USA
Reprint Address: Eom, S, SE Missouri State Univ, Dept Accounting & MIS, Cape
Girardeau, MO 63701 USA.

E-mail Address: sbeom at semo.edu
ISSN: 0922-6389
ISBN: 978-1-58603-881-6
google books URL: http://books.google.com/books?
id=Jirt1u6LIjgC&lpg=PA438&ots=nX9ySvPneD&dq=Decision%20Support%20Syst
ems%20Research%3A%20Current%20State%2C%20Problems%2C%20and%20F
uture%20Directions&pg=PA438#v=onepage&q=Decision%20Support%20System
s%20Research:%20Current%20State,%20Problems,%20and%20Future%20Direc
tions&f=false