Hsu, JW; Huang, DW. 2011. Dynamics of citation distribution. COMPUTER PHYSICS COMMUNICATIONS 182 (1): 185-187

Mon Feb 7 15:44:00 EST 2011

Hsu, JW; Huang, DW. 2011. Dynamics of citation distribution. COMPUTER
PHYSICS COMMUNICATIONS 182 (1): 185-187..

Author Full Name(s): Hsu, Jiann-wien; Huang, Ding-wei
Language: English
Document Type: Article

Author Keywords: Citation analysis; Bibliometrics; Stochastic processes
KeyWords Plus: SCIENTIFIC PAPERS; NETWORKS; STATISTICS

Abstract: We study the citation dynamics of scientific publications over the
years We propose a simple cellular automaton model featuring a combination of
two distinct mechanisms i e the random assignment and the preferential
attachment to investigate the dynamics of journal citation Different from most
previous studies focusing on highly cited papers we analyze the time evolution
of the entire citation distribution Empirical data can be well reproduced by
numerical simulations Within the linear regime of the Cited Half-Life a steady
accumulation of citations can be expected Moreover within this linear regime
the ratio between the above two mechanisms is a constant Besides the
average citation represented by the Impact Factor such a constant ratio can
also be a characteristic of the journal (C) 2010 Elsevier B V All rights reserved

Addresses: [Huang, Ding-wei] Chung Yuan Christian Univ, Dept Phys, Chungli,
Taiwan; [Hsu, Jiann-wien] Natl Tainan Inst Nursing, Gen Educ Ctr, Tainan,
Taiwan

Reprint Address: Huang, DW, Chung Yuan Christian Univ, Dept Phys, Chungli,
Taiwan.

ISSN: 0010-4655
DOI: 10.1016/j.cpc.2010.07.031
URL (not open access): http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cpc.2010.07.031