Miscellaneous papers for Sigmetrics readers

Eugene Garfield eugene.garfield at THOMSONREUTERS.COM
Wed Aug 31 12:51:04 EDT 2011

TITLE:          Impact factors: scientific and career assessment by
                numbers (Review, English)
AUTHOR:         Bruining, N; Curnmins, P; Serruys, PW
SOURCE:         EUROINTERVENTION 7 (1). MAY 2011. p.143-147 EUROPA
                EDITION, TOULOUSE CEDEX 6

SEARCH TERM(S):       GARFIELD E         SCIENCE               122:108   1955

KEYWORDS:       impact factor; scientific assessment; Hirsch-factor;
                Thomson Reuters

ABSTRACT:       The most used scientific evaluation parameters today are:
1) The impact factor (IF) of scientific journals in which the papers of researchers, and their collaborators, are published and 2) The so-called H-factor which is used to evaluate the work of individual scientists. We explore in detail these particular parameters. Also we briefly discuss alternative forms of assessment in the modern age.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: N Bruining, Erasmus MC, Ctr Thorax, Room BA-571,Dr
                Molewaterpl 40, NL-3015 GD Rotterdam, Netherlands

TITLE:          Eigenvector Centrality Based on Shared Research Topics in
                a Scientific Community (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Volpentesta, AP; Felicetti, AM
SOURCE:         COLLABORATIVE NETWORKS FOR A SUSTAINABLE WORLD 336.
                2010. p.626-633 SPRINGER-VERLAG BERLIN, BERLIN

SEARCH TERM(S):  GARFIELD E  rauth;
                 GARFIELD E         SCIENCE               178:471   1972

KEYWORDS:       Eigenvector centrality; scientific community; weighted
                multi-hypergraph
KEYWORDS+:       NETWORKS

ABSTRACT:       In this paper we propose a weighted multi-hypergraph as
logical structure to model relationships between researchers and interest groups that join them on the base of shared research topics in a given scientific community. The well known concept of eingenvector centrality for graphs is extended to weighted multi-hypergraphs and we present a model instantiation for centrality analysis in the Pro-VE scientific community.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: AP Volpentesta, Univ Calabria, Dept Elect Comp Sci & Syst,
                Via P Bucci 42-C, I-87036 Arcavacata Di Rende, CS, Italy

TITLE:          The Academic Management System in Universities of
                Developed Countries and Their Implications for China (Article, Chinese)
AUTHOR:         Zhen, Y; Chen, QL
SOURCE:         2011 INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON ECONOMIC, EDUCATION AND
                MANAGEMENT (ICEEM2011), VOL III. 2011. p.490-493
                ETP-ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY PRESS, HONG KONG

SEARCH TERM(S):  HIRSCH JE          P NATL ACAD SCI USA   102:16569 2005

KEYWORDS:       Research-oriented Universities; Academic Management System
KEYWORDS+:       INDEX

ABSTRACT:       In order to develop world-class research-oriented
universities in China, we need to build up the corresponding reasonable and advanced system for academic management so as to better motivate researchers and fulfill their potentials. In this paper, by the comparisons of the academic management system of several developed countries, and based on the practical situations in China, we present some reflections and advices for our existing systems to make it suitable to fit a real topnotch research-oriented university.