Ranking Hepatologists: Which Hirsch's h-Index to prevent the "e-crise de foi-e"

Wed Aug 31 12:14:17 EDT 2011

Ranking Hepatologists: Which Hirsch's h-Index to prevent the "e-crise de foi-
e"?

Author(s): Poynard, T (Poynard, Thierry); Thabut, D (Thabut, Dominique);
Jabre, P (Jabre, Patricia); Munteanu, M (Munteanu, Mona); Ratziu, V (Ratziu,
Vlad); Benhamou, Y (Benhamou, Yves); Deckmyn, O (Deckmyn, Olivier)
Source: CLINICS AND RESEARCH IN HEPATOLOGY AND GASTROENTEROLOGY
Volume: 35  Issue: 5  Pages: 375-386  DOI: 10.1016/j.clinre.2011.02.014
Published: MAY 2011

Abstract: Background: Hirsch's h-Index (h-I) quantifies and predicts an
individual's scientific output. The h-I can be estimated from several sources,
but no "gold-standard" approach has yet been established. The aim was to
analyze the discordance rates in Hepatology between five h-I assessments
from five databases: Scholar, Scopus, Web of Science (WoS), ScholarL
restricted to "liver", and a specialty h-I HepaTop.
Methods: The reference for the main endpoint was "h-I 50", the median of
included authors. Applicability and accuracy were assessed among 158 authors
identified in the top 100 of the most cited "clinical" Hepatologists by two
independent sources. The accuracy assessment used the area under the
receiver operating characteristics curves (AUROCs) standardized or not
according to spectrum effect, and the Pearson (PCC), and intraclass (ICC)
coefficients of correlation.
Results: Performances varied significantly according to h-I (P < 0.001).
Applicability was 80% for h-HepaTop and 100% for other h-I. AUROCs ranged
from 0.55 (h-Scholar) to 0.88 (h-HepaTop). The h-I were highly inter-
correlated but without perfect concordance: ICCs ranged from 0.01 (h-WoS
versus h-Scholar) to 0.53 (h-WoS versus h-Scopus; P < 0.0001). There were
no differences between the AUROCs for h-Scopus, h-WoS and h-HepaTop, with
lower accuracy for h-Scholar. The h-WoS AUROC adjusted for risk factors,
scientific age and homonymy, increased in combination with h-HepaTop from
0.83 to 0.94 P = 0.005.
Conclusions: The h-I should be carefully checked before any hepatologist's
evaluation. Three factors were associated with applicability and accuracy: the
data source, the risk of homonyms, and scientific age. A unique "global"
identification number is warranted. (C) 2011 Elsevier Masson SAS. All rights
reserved.

Language: English
Document Type: Article
KeyWords Plus: BIBLIOMETRIC INDICATORS; GOOGLE SCHOLAR; RESEARCHERS;
SCIENCE; SCOPUS; PATHOLOGY; IMPACT; OUTPUT; WEB

Addresses: [Poynard, T; Benhamou, Y] Grp Hosp Pitie Salpetriere, AP HP,
UPMC, Serv Hepatogastroenterol,Paris Liver Ctr, F-75651 Paris 13, France
[Thabut, D; Jabre, P; Ratziu, V] Ctr Rech Cardiovasc, INSERM, U970, F-75015
Paris, France
[Munteanu, M; Deckmyn, O] Biopredictive, F-75007 Paris, France
Reprint Address: Poynard, T (reprint author), Grp Hosp Pitie Salpetriere, AP HP,
UPMC, Serv Hepatogastroenterol,Paris Liver Ctr, 47-83 Blvd Hop, F-75651 Paris
13, France

E-mail Address: tpoynard at teaser.fr
ISSN: 2210-7401