FW: TREND OF SUBJECTS PUBLISHED IN ECONOMICS JOURNALS by MA Kelly

Eugene Garfield eugene.garfield at THOMSONREUTERS.COM
Thu Aug 25 16:32:23 EDT 2011

-

 E-mail kellyma at lafayette.edu
TITLE:          TREND OF SUBJECTS PUBLISHED IN ECONOMICS JOURNALS 1969-
                2007 (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Kelly, MA; Bruestle, S
SOURCE:         ECONOMIC INQUIRY 49 (3). JUL 2011. p.658-673
                WILEY-BLACKWELL, MALDEN

SEARCH TERM(S):  JOURNALS  item_title

KEYWORDS+:       DEPARTMENTS; PRODUCTIVITY; RANKINGS; US

ABSTRACT:       We describe the evolution of subject areas published in
economics over four decades and calculate the percentage of articles
published in each Journal of Economic Literature (JEL) subject category,
with and without weighting by Eigenfactor.com's Article Influence (AI).
Finance, Development, and Industrial Organization have seen their share
of total articles rise over the past four decades while Microeconomics,
Macroeconomics, and Labor have seen their share fall. We use JEL codes to
define specialty journals and find that more specialty journals tend to
increase the overall percentage share for that subject. This effect is
ambiguous when re-weighted by AI.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: MA Kelly, Lafayette Coll, Simon Ctr 204, Easton, PA 18042
                USA