Helping postgraduate students with the abstracts for their theses

James Hartley j.hartley at PSY.KEELE.AC.UK
Thu Nov 25 04:07:40 EST 2010

Colleagues helping non-English postgraduates with their theses might be interested in the little article attached that argues for writing structured abstracts in theses...

Best wishes

James Hartley
School of Psychology
Keele University
Staffordshire
ST5 5BG
UK
j.hartley at psy.keele.ac.uk
http://www.keele.ac.uk/depts/ps/people/JHartley/index.htm
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Linda McPhee
  To: EATAW at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
  Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2010 5:55 PM
  Subject: Re: technical academic writing discussion?

  I'm also always interested in making contact with others who are teaching academic writing inside a discipline. I've been teaching writing since 1984 and advanced writing since about 1987, and currently work with life science researchers and with social science (development studies) researchers, mainly PhD students writing articles for publication. For most of them English is a second or further language.

  Very interesting work, once you get away from grammar and show people how to structure and control their intended meanings.

  Linda McPhee
  http://www.lindamcpheeconsulting.com