Davis study still lacks self-selection control group (and the sample is still small)

Philip Davis pmd8 at CORNELL.EDU
Wed Nov 24 09:41:16 EST 2010

Stevan,
Your new interest in sample sizes implies -- although you don't seem
willing to admit -- that an OA citation advantage is much, much smaller
than initially reported.  Early studies (including yours) estimated the
citation effect to be somewhere between 50% and 500% -- ranges that
should be easily detectable with smaller sample sizes such as our
study.  By focusing on the fact that I do not have the statistical power
to detect very small differences is really an admission that an OA
citation advantage -- if one truly exists -- can be largely explained by
other theories (e.g. self-selection) and that the part attributable to
free access is very small indeed.

--Phil Davis

--
Philip M. Davis, Ph.D.