Ajiferuke, I; Lu, K; Wolfram, D. 2010. A Comparison of Citer and Citation-Based Measure Outcomes for Multiple Disciplines. JASIST 61 (10): 2086-2096

Sat Nov 20 14:00:25 EST 2010

Ajiferuke, I; Lu, K; Wolfram, D. 2010. A Comparison of Citer and Citation-Based
Measure Outcomes for Multiple Disciplines. JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN
SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY 61 (10): 2086-2096

Author Full Name(s): Ajiferuke, Isola; Lu, Kun; Wolfram, Dietmar
Language: English
Document Type: Article

KeyWords Plus: SCIENTIFIC LITERATURE; CITING BEHAVIOR; IMAGE-MAKERS;
SCIENCE; INDEXES; DOCUMENTATION; COCITATION; IDENTITY; AUTHORS;
COUNTS

Abstract: Author research impact was examined based on citer analysis (the
number of citers as opposed to the number of citations) for 90 highly cited
authors grouped into three broad subject areas. Citer-based outcome measures
were also compared with more traditional citation-based measures for levels of
association. The authors found that there are significant differences in citer-
based outcomes among the three broad subject areas examined and that there
is a high degree of correlation between citer and citation-based measures for
all measures compared, except for two outcomes calculated for the social
sciences. Citer-based measures do produce slightly different rankings of
authors based on citer counts when compared to more traditional citation
counts. Examples are provided. Citation measures may not adequately address
the influence, or reach, of an author because citations usually do not address
the origin of the citation beyond self-citations.

Addresses: [Ajiferuke, Isola] Univ Western Ontario, Fac Informat & Media
Studies, London, ON N6A 5B7, Canada; [Lu, Kun; Wolfram, Dietmar] Univ
Wisconsin, Sch Informat Studies, Milwaukee, WI 53201 USA

Reprint Address: Ajiferuke, I, Univ Western Ontario, Fac Informat & Media
Studies, London, ON N6A 5B7, Canada.

E-mail Address: iajiferu at uwo.ca; kunlu at uwm.edu; dwolfram at uwm.edu
ISSN: 1532-2882
DOI: 10.1002/asi.21383