Raghuraman, KP; Chander, R; Madras, G. 2010. Scientometric analysis of some disciplines: Comparison of Indian institutions with other international institutions. CURRENT SCIENCE 99 (5): 577-587

Sat Nov 20 11:47:53 EST 2010

Raghuraman, KP; Chander, R; Madras, G. 2010. Scientometric analysis of some
disciplines: Comparison of Indian institutions with other international
institutions. CURRENT SCIENCE 99 (5): 577-587..

Author Full Name(s): Raghuraman, K. P.; Chander, Romesh; Madras, Giridhar
Language: English
Document Type: Article

Author Keywords: Indian and international institutions; publications; research
performance; scientometric analysis

Abstract: We have carried out a three-part study comparing the research
performance of Indian institutions with that of other international institutions.
In the first part, the publication profiles of various Indian institutions were
examined and ranked based on the h-index and p-index. We found that the
institutions of national importance contributed the highest in terms of
publications and citations per institution. In the second part of the study, we
looked at the publication profiles of various Indian institutions in the high-
impact journals and compared these profiles against that of the top Asian and
US universities. We found that the number of papers in these journals from
India was miniscule compared to the US universities. Recognizing that the
publication profiles of various institutions depend on the field/departments, we
studied the publication profiles of many science and engineering departments at
the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore, the Indian Institutes of
Technology, as well as top Indian universities. Because the number of faculty in
each department varies widely, we have computed the publications and
citations per faculty per year for each department. We have also compared this
with other departments in various Asian and US universities. We found that the
top Indian institution based on various parameters in various disciplines was
IISc, but overall even the top Indian institutions do not compare favourably
with the top US or Asian universities.

Addresses: [Raghuraman, K. P.; Chander, Romesh; Madras, Giridhar] Indian Inst
Sci, Natl Ctr Sci Informat, Bangalore 560012, Karnataka, India
Reprint Address: Madras, G, Indian Inst Sci, Natl Ctr Sci Informat, Bangalore
560012, Karnataka, India.

E-mail Address: giridhar at chemeng.iisc.ernet.in
ISSN: 0011-3891
fulltext: http://www.ias.ac.in/currsci/10sep2010/577.pdf