No subject

Eugene Garfield eugene.garfield at THOMSONREUTERS.COM
Tue Jun 22 12:22:35 EDT 2010

Email: Sidney Redner (redner at bu.edu)

TITLE:          Community structure of the physical review citation

                network (Article, English)

AUTHOR:         Chen, P; Redner, S

SOURCE:         JOURNAL OF INFORMETRICS 4 (3). JUL 2010. p.278-290

                ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV, AMSTERDAM

SEARCH TERM(S):  CITATION  item_title; CITATION*  item_title

KEYWORDS:       Citation network; Modularity; Community structure;

                Physical review

KEYWORDS+:       MODEL; POLYACETYLENE; SOLITONS

ABSTRACT:       We investigate the community structure of physics

subfields in the citation network of all Physical Review publications

between 1893 and August 2007. We focus on well-cited publications (those

receiving more than 100 citations), and apply modularity maximization to

uncover major communities that correspond to clearly identifiable

subfields of physics. While most of the links between communities
connect

those with obvious intellectual overlap, there sometimes exist
unexpected

connections between disparate fields due to the development of a widely

applicable theoretical technique or by cross fertilization between
theory

and experiment. We also examine communities decade by decade and also

uncover a small number of significant links between communities that are

widely separated in time. (C) 2010 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: S Redner, Boston Univ, Dept Phys, Ctr Polymer Studies,
590

                Commonwealth Ave, Boston, MA 02215 USA

[ ]<-- Enter an X to order article (IDS: 607YQ 00008)  ISSN: 1751-1577