normalization of citation analysis at the field level

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Tue Jun 15 03:04:03 EDT 2010

 Normalization  <http://www.leydesdorff.net/opthofleydesdorff/rejoinder.pdf>
at the field level: fractional counting of citations

Journal of Informetrics (forthcoming).

Van Raan et al. (2010;  <http://arxiv.org/abs/1003.2113> arXiv:1003.2113)
have proposed a new indicator (MNCS) for field normalization. Since field
normalization is also used in the Leiden Rankings of universities, we
elaborate our critique of journal normalization in Opthof & Leydesdorff
(2010;  <http://arxiv.org/abs/1002.2769> arXiv:1002.2769) in this rejoinder
concerning field normalization. Fractional citation counting thoroughly
solves the issue of normalization for differences in citation behavior among
fields. This indicator can also be used to obtain a normalized impact
factor.

Scopus <http://www.leydesdorff.net/weightedimpact/rejoinder.pdf> ' SNIP
indicator

Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology
(forthcoming).

Rejoinder to Moed (2010; at  <http://arxiv.org/abs/1005.4906>
http://arxiv.org/abs/1005.4906): Our main objection is against developing
new indicators which, like some of the older ones (for example, the "crown
indicator" of CWTS), do not allow for indicating error because they do not
provide a statistics, but are based, in our opinion, on a violation of the
order of operations. The claim of validity for the SNIP indicator is hollow
because the normalizations are based on field classifications which are not
valid. Both problems can perhaps be solved by using fractional counting.

Loet Leydesdorff & Tobias Opthof

  _____

Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel. +31-20-525 6598; fax: +31-842239111

 <mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net> loet at leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/