Whether Self-Selected or Mandated, Open Access Increases Citation Impact for Higher Quality Research

Philip Davis pmd8 at CORNELL.EDU
Fri Jan 8 10:06:11 EST 2010

Stevan,
Granted, you may be more interested in what the referees of the paper
have to say than my comments; I'm interested in whether this paper is
good science, whether the methodology is sound and whether you interpret
your results properly.

For instance, it is not clear whether your Odds Ratios are interpreted
correctly.  Based on Figure 4, OA article are MORE LIKELY to receive
zero citations than 1-5 citations (or conversely, LESS LIKELY to receive
1-5 citations than zero citations).

You write: "For example, we can say for the first model that for a one
unit increase in OA, the odds of receiving 1-5 citations (versus zero
citations) increased by a factor of 0.957. Figure 4.. (p.9)

Similarly in Figure 4 (if I understand the axes correctly), CERN article
are more than twice as likely to be in the 20+ citation category than in
the 1-5 citation category, a fact that may distort further
interpretation of your data as it may be that institutional effects may
explain your Mandated OA effect.  See comments by Patrick Gaule and Ludo
Waltman on the review http://j.mp/8LK57u

--Phil Davis

email: pmd8 at cornell.edu
phone: 607 255-2124