Studies showing that review articles get more citations

Nees Jan van Eck nvaneck at ESE.EUR.NL
Wed Feb 24 09:38:21 EST 2010

Dear Stevan and others,

Reviews indeed on average receive more citations than ordinary articles.
Some time ago I collected some data on this issue. See the attached Excel
file. The data (taken from Web of Science) is based on publications
published between 1999 and 2003. For each publication citations were counted
within a four year time window.

Some data can also be found in a paper by Lundberg published in Journal of
Informetrics in 2007 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.joi.2006.09.007).

Note that the distinction between ordinary articles and reviews in Web of
Science is quite arbitrary and mainly determined by the number of references
of a publication. Publications with more than 100 references are (almost)
always regarded as reviews in Web of Science.

Best regards,
Nees Jan van Eck

Nees Jan van Eck MSc
Researcher

Centre for Science and Technology Studies
Leiden University
P.O. Box 905
2300 AX Leiden
The Netherlands