Studies showing that review articles get more citations

David Wojick dwojick at HUGHES.NET
Tue Feb 23 12:46:32 EST 2010

That review articles are more highly cited than regular articles reporting
specific results may support a theory of the nature of scientific
communication. The typical article appears to have the following logic.
There are 4 parts -- (1) here's the problem, (2) here's what we did, (3)
here's what we found and (4) here's what it means. Part 4 may be brief or
even absent. I recently did a quick study (just 6 articles) and found that
about 60% of the citations occur in the first quarter of an article. This
is the "here's the problem" part and it makes sense that review articles
would play an important role in this phase of the explanation.

David