Bothner, MS; Haynes, R; Lee, W; Smith, EB. 2010. When Do Matthew Effects Occur?. JOURNAL OF MATHEMATICAL SOCIOLOGY 34 (2): 80-114

Sat Aug 7 15:42:15 EDT 2010

Bothner, MS; Haynes, R; Lee, W; Smith, EB. 2010. When Do Matthew Effects
Occur?. JOURNAL OF MATHEMATICAL SOCIOLOGY 34 (2): 80-114.

Author Full Name(s): Bothner, Matthew S.; Haynes, Richard; Lee, Wonjae;
Smith, Edward Bishop

Language: English
Document Type: Article

Author Keywords: leadership; social networks; status
KeyWords Plus: ACCUMULATIVE ADVANTAGE; RED QUEEN; INDUSTRY;
INEQUALITY; MARKET; STRATIFICATION; COMPETITION; NETWORKS;
MOBILITY; SUCCESS

Abstract: What are the boundary conditions of the Matthew Effect? In other
words, under what circumstances do initial status differences result in highly
skewed reward distributions over the long run, and when, conversely, is the
accumulation of status-based advantages constrained? Using a formal model,
we investigate the fates of actors in a contest who start off as status-
equivalents, produce at different levels of quality, and thus come to occupy
distinct locations in a status ordering. We build from a set of equations in which
failing to observe cumulative advantage seems implausible and then
demonstrate that, despite initial conditions designed to lead inevitably to
status monopolization, circumstances still exist that rein in the Matthew Effect.
Our results highlight the importance of a single factor governing whether the
Matthew Effect operates freely or is circumscribed. This factor is the degree to
which status diffuses through social relations. When actors' status levels are
strongly influenced by the status levels of those dispensing recognition to
them, then eventually the top-ranked actor is nearly matched in status by the
lower-ranked actor she endorses. In contrast, when actors' status levels are
unaffected by the status levels of those giving them recognition, the top-
ranked actor amasses virtually all status available in the system. Our primary
contribution is the intuition that elites may unwittingly and paradoxically
destroy their cumulative advantage beneath the weight of their endorsements
of others. Consequently, we find that the Matthew Effect is curtailed by a
process that, at least in some social settings, is a property of status itselfits
propensity to diffuse through social relations. Implications for future research
are discussed.

Addresses: [Bothner, Matthew S.] Univ Chicago, Booth Sch Business, Chicago,
IL 60637 USA; [Haynes, Richard] Credit Suisse, New York, NY USA; [Lee,
Wonjae] Seoul Natl Univ, ISDPR, Seoul, South Korea; [Smith, Edward Bishop]
Univ Michigan, Stephen M Ross Sch Business, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 USA

Reprint Address: Bothner, MS, Univ Chicago, Booth Sch Business, 5807 S
Woodlawn Ave, Chicago, IL 60637 USA.

E-mail Address: mbothner at chicagobooth.edu
ISSN: 0022-250X
DOI: 10.1080/00222500903310960