Torres-Salinas, D; Jimenez-Contreras, E. 2010. Introduction and comparative study of the new scientific journals citation indicators in Journal Citation Reports and Scopus. PROFESIONAL DE LA INFORMACION 19 (2): 201-207.

Sun Aug 1 15:23:12 EDT 2010

Torres-Salinas, D; Jimenez-Contreras, E. 2010. Introduction and comparative
study of the new scientific journals citation indicators in Journal Citation
Reports and Scopus. PROFESIONAL DE LA INFORMACION 19 (2): 201-207.

Author Full Name(s): Torres-Salinas, Daniel; Jimenez-Contreras, Evaristo

Language: Spanish
Document Type: Article

Abstract: The evaluation of scientific journals with bibliometric indicators has
been dominated by the Impact factor since the 70s. However Thomson has
recently included in the Journal Citation Reports the Eigen factor and the
Article influence score. On the other hand Elsevier has included in Scopus the
Source normalized impact per paper (SNIP) and the SCImago journal rank (SJR).
In this paper we introduce, and describe these indicators. Secondly to study
the similarities we analyze correlations of the traditional indicators and the new
ones, detailing the results across 27 scientific fields. It was noted that some
couples of indicators such as Eigen Citations, Impact factor-ArticleScore,
Impact factor SJR and SJR-ArticleScore do correlate in many areas.
Correlations showed different trends in Science and Social science; therefore,
in the last section we discuss the need to take into account the scientific area
when selecting an indicator.

Addresses: [Torres-Salinas, Daniel] Univ Granada, Evaluac Ciencia & Comunicac
Cient EC3, Dept Bibliotecon & Documentac, Granada 18011, Spain; [Torres-
Salinas, Daniel] Univ Navarra, Ctr Invest Med, Pamplona 31008, Spain

Reprint Address: Torres-Salinas, D, Univ Granada, Evaluac Ciencia & Comunicac
Cient EC3, Dept Bibliotecon & Documentac, Granada 18011, Spain.

E-mail Address: evaristo at ugr.es

ISSN: 1386-6710
DOI: 10.3145/epi.2010.mar.12
Fulltext:
http://ec3.ugr.es/publicaciones/Introduccion_y_estudio_comparativo_de_los_n
uevos_indicadores_de_citacion_sobre_revistas_cientificas_en_Journal_Citation_
Reports_y_Scopus.pdf