Fw: [SIGMETRICS] Towards a new crown indicator: an empirical analysis

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Sun Apr 18 04:31:28 EDT 2010

Dear Ton and colleagues,

Let's assume now that we agree about the normalizations in the old and
new crown indicators, and move this discussion further. What continues
to puzzle me in both normalizations is that the expected values are
themselves statistics. Usually (for example, in the case of
chi-square) one uses the statistics of observed over expected. But in
this case, this observed over expected is the statistics of a
statistics.

It works a bit differently for the two normalizations.

First, there is the question whether one should use the means. In the
denominator of equation 1 (the old crown indicator) one took the means
over these means and that can probably be justified because the means
of the sets are more normally distributed than the underlying sets.
Because of the distributions in the underlying sets, however, one
could make an argument for taking the medians. This argument holds
equally for the normalization in the new crown indicator. (You may
wish to add a reflection about this issue to the preprint to which I
react.)

An interesting aspect of the old crown indicator was that one had two
dimensions when taking the means over the means, namely the
distributions over the fields (or journals) and the distributions
within each case. This might allow for developing an expected value on
the basis of the uncertainty contained in these two dimensions which
is more sophisticated than taking the means over the means. The size
of the set is in this case not n, but n x m. I am not suggesting that
one should take the mean over (n x m) -- that would be silly -- but
someone may be able to suggest another statistics which could be used
as an expected value (in the denominator) at the level of the group in
the numerator.

Best wishes,

Loet