Caveats for the journal and field normalizations in the CWTS ("Leiden") evaluations of research performance

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Fri Apr 9 15:03:29 EDT 2010

It was published just before the groups in Leiden and Leuven came with their
first articles on normalized citation analysis, but had quite a different,
and methodologically sound approach. In 2006, I visited Barry Bozeman in the
US and gave a presentation on field normalized citation analysis.
Immediately, he responded in a way that pointed to z-score as the best
alternative for handling these types of problems. Could it be the case that
in the 1980s there was a gap between the US and Europe, maybe there still
is, regarding statistical methods and methdological competence?

Dear Ulf,

Thank you for briging this paper to our attention. In the early 1980s there
was a lifely relation between the US and European scholars in bibliometrics.
We met, for example, at the meetings of the 4S (The Society for the Social
Studies of Science). I remember, for example, a car ride from a meeting in
Troy (NY) with Fran Narin as the driver and Henk Moed and me in the car.
Fran was going to show us his company in Philadelphia, but I felt not well
and stepped out of the car in Newark.

Thus, we knew one another quite well. And certainly, we all read the same
journals. (I must confess that I had never read this excellent piece).

Best wishes,

Loet

Since 2005, my group have performed citation analysis with normalization at
article level, and in 2007 we included the Standard Citation Score using the
method proposed by Mcallister et al. Most or our work is in Swedish, but to
give a couple of examples (in English) of this type of work: see the report
on the Research Assessement in 2008 for Royal Institute of Technology,
Stockholm, avaiable here:
http://www.forskningspolitik.se/DataFile.asp?FileID=165 or via www.se/rae.
Another evaluation using the same methods was performed last year for the
Swedish Environmental Protection Agency "Bibliometric evaluation of research
programs": http://www.forskningspolitik.se/DataFile.asp?FileID=182.
Especially, have a look at the Technical Appendices to these reports.

Best,
Ulf Sandstrom

Ulf Sandström, docent

Linköpings universitet