Citation, Usage and Access Metrics as Information Service for Scholars?

Jayshree Mamtora Jayshree.Mamtora at CDU.EDU.AU
Wed Sep 2 03:08:47 EDT 2009

Chris, I'm having difficulty downloading the paper - any suggestions?

Regards

Jayshree

From: ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics
[mailto:SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU] On Behalf Of Armbruster, Chris
Sent: Wednesday, 2 September 2009 4:18 PM
To: SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU
Subject: [SIGMETRICS] Citation, Usage and Access Metrics as Information
Service for Scholars?

Dear colleagues,

It would seem that there exist tried-and-tested technologies and methods
to deliver metric information services that would be of value to
scholars in their routines of work, e.g. information search, literature
evaluation, peer review, collaboration and competition etc.

At the same time I know only of a few services that have been designed
explicitly with the scholars in mind (e.g. JIF and JUF I would discount,
but gopubmed.com I would count).

I would like to invite you to review a new paper that argues for
building and expanding a scholarly metric information service. Please
send any comments to me (or the list).

Thank you,

Chris Armbruster

Abstract
As the Internet has enhanced the collection and provision of citation,
usage and access metrics, the challenge lies neither in the technology
nor the method, but in constructing databases that deliver services of
value to the scholar. However, the development of metrics has hitherto
been driven by the needs of external research assessment (governments
and funders), while publishers and libraries have focussed on their own
needs (e.g. journal impact and usage factors).
Scholars often criticize research assessment and the use of particular
metrics as a zero-sum game whose undesirable consequences far outweigh
the benefits. However, this is not to be confused with a general
prejudice against metrics, which are principally compatible with the
scholarly recognition and rewards system. But it does indicate that
current metric information services often do not serve the needs of
scholars.
The question everybody should be asking is: What kind of metric
information services would serve scholars?

Keywords
Citation metrics, usage metrics, access metrics, research assessment,
research information services, scholarly societies, scholarly
publishers, postdocs, Hirsch index

Services mentioned
Journal impact factor, journal usage factor, GoPubMed, SSRN CiteReader,
RePEc LogEc, RePEc CitEc, SPIRES, Harzing POP, Webometrics, ISI Web of
Knowledge, Scopus, Google Scholar, Citebase, CiteSeer X, CERIF