The European Research Conundrum: when research organizations impede scientific and technological breakthroughs despite targets, money and policy to foster these activities

Armbruster, Chris Chris.Armbruster at EUI.EU
Thu Oct 29 08:46:09 EDT 2009

Dear David,

no claim is made that we can causally explain or quantify breakthroughs. Yet, it is possible to describe with a good degree of accuracy what organizations look like that have been - repeatedly! - the site of a recognized breakthrough. Also, we can describe what places look like that impede or discourage such efforts.

Rather than thinking about this in terms of revolutions and normal science, what about a very pragmatic approach that revolves, for example, around advising junior scientists where to go? My bet would be that in 'fostering organisations' the job satisfaction of researchers will be much higher than in the miserable places (e.g. compare Rockefeller University to any underfunded university in Europe). Why? Even though we cannot quantify breakthroughs very well and most researchers do not receive the Nobel Prize, we all do have a pretty clear idea about what a conducive working environment is in which you can meaningfully contribute to the progress of science...

One way to go about building more and better knowledge is to describe and analyse the sites at which recognized breakthroughs occur, although this will always have to be historical. Another is to track the experience of those recently awarded flagship grants, and contribute towards removing the organizational obstacles... This is not rocket science, but possibly rather close to what business and management schools do and what is known as organizational restructuring. Yet, I think it would be more than worthwhile.

Best, Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics on behalf of David Wojick
Sent: Thu 10/29/2009 13:02
To: SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU
Subject: Re: [SIGMETRICS] The European Research Conundrum: when research organizations impede scientific and technological breakthroughs despite targets, money and policy to foster these activities

Dear Chris,

I am skeptical of your claim that "it is known what kind of organizational design is conducive to scientific and technological breakthroughs and that this knowledge could be utilized to drive forward organizational restructuring." (But I have not seen your paper.)

First, I am not aware of any empirical model of breakthroughs that is sufficiently well developed to support such a precise claim. It would require being able to identify and quantify breakthroughs, and I don't think we can do that (yet). How many breakthroughs were there last year? One, ten, ten thousand, a million? I don't think we know, because the concept is still wildly imprecise.

Second, following Kuhn, I would argue that producing breakthroughs is not the job of most scientists, so science should not be organized around this goal. That is, each breakthrough depends upon a great deal of prior work, which must first be funded. In fact I think that this purported "breakthrough race" is based on a mistaken concept of how science works. One can't fund just the breakthroughs. Would that we could, but science does not work that way.

Still it is a wonderful question, which I too am working on. See for example:
http://www.osti.gov/ostiblog/home/entry/leaping_concepts_and_global_discovery

Cheers,
David

David Wojick, Ph.D.
Senior consultant for innovation
Office of Scientific and Technical Information
US Dept. of Energy