Egghe L. "A rationale for the Hirsch-index rank-order distribution and a comparison with the impact factor rank-order distribution" Published online JASIST April 20, 2009

Thu Oct 15 15:11:12 EDT 2009

AUTHOR : EGGHE  L.
Universiteit Hasselt (UHasselt), Campus Diepenbeek, Agoralaan, B-3590
Diepenbeek, Belgium

email: Leo Egghe (leo.egghe at uhasselt.be)

TITLE : A  rationale for the Hirsch-index rank-order distribution and a
comparison with the impact factor rank-order distribution

SOURCE : JASIST
Digital Object Identifier (DOI)

10.1002/asi.21121  About DOI

Pages: 2142-2144

Universiteit Hasselt (UHasselt), Campus Diepenbeek, Agoralaan, B-3590
Diepenbeek, Belgium

Index Terms
citation analysis • author productivity • analytic models • impact factor •
Lotka's law

Abstract
We present a rationale for the Hirsch-index rank-order distribution and
prove that it is a power law (hence a straight line in the log-log scale).
This is confirmed by experimental data of Pyykkö and by data produced in
this article on 206 mathematics journals. This distribution is of a
completely different nature than the impact factor (IF) rank-order
distribution which (as proved in a previous article) is S-shaped. This is
also confirmed by our example. Only in the log-log scale of the h-index
distribution do we notice a concave deviation of the straight line for
higher ranks. This phenomenon is discussed.

FULL TEXT AVAILABLE AT :

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/122441670/abstract

Published Online:  5 Jun 2009

DOI: 10.1002/asi.21121