[CHMINF-L] Review Articles - A Different Perspective

Eugene Garfield eugene.garfield at THOMSONREUTERS.COM
Thu Mar 19 16:32:02 EDT 2009

The wide variation in the JIF of review journals tells you that thee is
also a wide variation in their quality. Critical reviews that bring new
insight to a field are one thing and simple bibliographical reviews
which make little interpretation are another.
I do not recall any studies of review articles that appear in non-review
journals. I doubt that their impacts achieve the heights of such
journals as Annual Review of Biochemistry, Chemical Reviews, etc. That's
worthy topic
for some young chemist or librarian to undertake.Eugene Garfield

Eugene Garfield, PhD. email:  garfield at codex.cis.upenn.edu
home page: www.eugenegarfield.org
Tel: 215-243-2205 Fax 215-387-1266

-----Original Message-----
From: CHEMICAL INFORMATION SOURCES DISCUSSION LIST
[mailto:CHMINF-L at LISTSERV.INDIANA.EDU] On Behalf Of A. Ben Wagner
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2009 8:26 AM
To: CHMINF-L at LISTSERV.INDIANA.EDU
Subject: Re: [CHMINF-L] Review Articles - A Different Perspective

Everyone wins - sort of.  Since review articles as a class are cited
significantly more, the journal impact factor(JIF) of the journal will
go up.
And the author's h-index/total cites will almost certainly benefit.  Of
course, carried to the extreme, if journal editors seeking ever higher
impact factors and authors seeking ever higher h-indexes start writing
only
review articles, there will be no individual studies published so that
there can be review articles.

--Ben Wagner, Univ. at Buffalo

--On Friday, February 20, 2009 4:32 PM -0500 Michael White
<michael.white at QUEENSU.CA> wrote:

> Hi colleagues...
>
> I know that the topic of review articles has been discussed before,
but
> here's a different perspective I wanted to share with you.
>
> I recently attended one of our chemistry department's regularly weekly
> seminars. The guest speaker, who was from a UK university, mentioned
in
> his introduction the benefits of writing review articles. He said that
> before he wrote his review article, which has been cited heavily, he
was
> just another "face in the audience" at meetings and conferences. After
he
> published it he got invitations to speak and numerous manuscripts to
> review. He encouraged the grad students in the audience to consider
> writing review articles even though they may not seem as exciting as
> original research.
>
> Any thoughts? Are review articles good for career development and
> networking opportunities?
>
> Cheers,
>
> --Mike White
>
> --
>
> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
> Michael White (BA, MLIS)
> Librarian for Research Services
> Engineering and Science Library
> Queen's University
> 93 University Avenue Kingston, Ontario, Canada  K7L 5C4
> 613.533.6785 / 613.533.2584 (Fax)
> michael.white at queensu.ca
>
> CHMINF-L Archives (also to join or leave CHMINF-L, etc.)
> http://listserv.indiana.edu/archives/chminf-l.html
> Search the CHMINF-L archives at:
> https://listserv.indiana.edu/cgi-bin/wa-iub.exe?S1=chminf-l
> Sponsors of CHMINF-L: