Perils of Press-Release Journalism: NSF and Chronicle of Higher Education

David E. Wojick dwojick at HUGHES.NET
Sun Mar 8 16:09:45 EDT 2009

Dear Loet,

I agree about the arrows, although I think being reported is more
like citation than publication. Also it is important to note that the
news system includes many channels within the scientific community
itself, about which we have little data. There are thousands of
listservs like Sigmetrics, which I suspect are far more important
than the public newspapers. Whether they are or not is the kind of
question I am referring to.

To wander a bit, citation itself is often a form of news. As I have
said before, the beginning part of a typical journal article is
devoted to explaining the problem addressed by the research. It is
therefore about (hence reporting) the work of others, which is why
most of the citations occur in this section. I often find myself
reading these overviews and citations even though the specific
research result in the paper does not interest me.

Your point about discourse is very important. How the reasoning of a
community is progressing is arguably far more important than who
learns what from whom. (Discourse analysis is my basic field. I even
claim to have discovered how sentences fit together to create
reasoned discourse, such as science.) In fact the concept of
knowledge diffusion is somewhat misleading here. It suggests that
knowledge circulates without changing, but almost everyone adds some
thinking along the way. To me the dynamics of science is the dynamics
of that reasoning.

Thanks for your interest,

David

Dear David,

I meant with the two arrows:
First, on the supply side, which research is being reported and
spreading, throughout the news system? This is akin to publication.
Second, who in the scientific community is reading about which
research?

In my opinion, it is helpful to distinguish between individuals and
how they collect and disseminate information versus how discourses
evolve (scientific discourses, political discourses, and the common
discourse in the media). The three are interconnected by people and
organizations.

Best, Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
<mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net>loet at leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/>http://www.leydesdorff.net/