Perils of Press-Release Journalism: NSF and Chronicle of Higher Education

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Sat Mar 7 09:39:37 EST 2009

Dear David,

The non-ISI-sources for citations are available in the JCR. This covers the
second of your arrows. The first can be traced because major newspapers have
excellent search engines on their archives. Alternatively, one can use Lexis
Nexis. I do this regularly with students from communication studies. We then
distinguish among three types of communication: scientific communication,
public communication (newspapers), and political communication
(parliamentary proceedings). The causality is very different in different
domains.

For example, in the case of obesitas scientific communications feed into the
other domains. In the case of issues like violence in computer games, public
concern is leading both scientific interest and political debate. However, I
would not overestimate the feedback arrow in specific cases. I don't
remember having read anything about citation analysis in a newspaper which I
did not already know from the scientific communication.

Best wishes,

Loet

PS. Below is the citation impact environment of the Wall Street Journal in
2006 using JCR data:

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff
Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
 <mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net> loet at leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/

  _____