Determining the "top journals" in a field?

Brenda L Battleson blb at BUFFALO.EDU
Tue Feb 24 00:34:28 EST 2009

I think that the primary reason for such a discrepancy is the nature of
the LIS journals. With the advent of informatics, especially medical
informatics, there seems to be an increasing divergence of the
"information science" part of LIS. Whereas the journals listed in the
Nisonger and Davis article are focused in the areas of library research
and practice, those with the highest impact factors in JCR heavily lean
towards information science.

Consider the citing journals of the top ten LIS journals listed in JCR
by impact factor: I'm admittedly "eyeballing" the lists, but it is
obvious that a significant proportion of citing journals come from
outside of LIS. (This is especially true in the area of medical
informatics.) When we examine the journal titles listed in Nisonger and
Davis, we see that for the most part, the citing journals fall primarily
within LIS. Closer examination suggests that most of these cited and
citing titles tend to have a "practitioner" rather than "research"
focus. With such a specialized scope, there would be little interest
beyond LIS, which is reflected by the relatively low impact factors for
these titles.

Given the recent growth of ISchools and informatics programs, It would
be interesting to replicate the Nisonger-Davis study (itself a
replication of the Kohl-Davis study) once again to see if the
relationship between journal prestige perceptions of LIS deans and those
of ARL library directors have changed. Furthermore, are there any
differences in the perceptions of ISchool deans as compared to more
traditional LIS program deans? And how does all of this compare to JCR?

Best,

-Brenda

 --
Brenda L. Battleson