The Dynamics of Exchanges and References among Scientific Texts, and the Autopoiesis of Discursive Knowledge; preprint version

David E. Wojick dwojick at HUGHES.NET
Sun Feb 22 13:18:11 EST 2009

Dear Loet,

Where does the natural world that science studies fit into this
system? New specialties develop because of the way the world is, not
because science wants them. That is, new discoveries lead to new
lines of inquiry that attract new communities. Where these
discoveries occur and what the new trajectories are is not up to the
scientists, rather it is in a sense up to nature. This is why the
dynamics are unpredictable; we really do not know where we are going.
Reality is thus the control mechanism, the ultimate feedback loop.

This suggests that the best model for scientific dynamics might be
swarming (in pursuit of understanding), not self organization. But I
freely admit I am not familiar with the community of thought you are
drawing upon in this essay, except for a few of your prior writings.
So I may simply have misunderstood.

My best regards,

David Wojick

<http://www.leydesdorff.net/autopoiesis/index.htm>The Dynamics of
Exchanges and References among Scientific Texts,

<http://www.leydesdorff.net/autopoiesis/index.htm>and the Autopoiesis
of Discursive Knowledge

<http://www.leydesdorff.net/autopoiesis/autopoiesis.pdf><click here for pdf>

Abstract

Discursive knowledge emerges as codification in flows of
communication. The flows of communication are constrained and enabled
by networks of communications as their historical manifestations at
each moment of time. New publications modify the existing networks by
changing the distributions of attributes and relations in document
sets, while the networks are self-referentially updated along
trajectories. Codification operates reflexively: the network
structures are reconstructed from the perspective of hindsight.
Codification along different axes differentiates discursive knowledge
into specialties. These intellectual control structures are
constructed bottom-up, but feed top-down back upon the production of
new knowledge. However, the forward dynamics of diffusion in the
development of the communication networks along trajectories differs
from the feedback mechanisms of control. Analysis of the development
of scientific communication in terms of evolving scientific
literatures provides us with a model which makes these evolutionary
processes amenable to measurement.

Diana Lucio Arias & Loet Leydesdorff

Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam, The Netherlands

** apologies for cross-postings

--

"David E. Wojick, Ph.D., PE" <WojickD at osti.gov>
Senior Consultant for Innovation

http://www.bydesign.com/powervision/resume.html provides my bio and
past client list.
http://www.bydesign.com/powervision/Mathematics_Philosophy_Science/
presents some of my own research on information structure and
dynamics.