Domain, discipline, field - what is what?

Barjak,Franz franz.barjak at FHNW.CH
Fri Feb 13 04:46:37 EST 2009

Dear list,

After having been a silent observer of this list for several years I happen to have to ask something due to an ongoing discussion that I have offline:

I use the terms

- "domain" for "humanities" or "natural sciences",
- "discipline" for "archaeology" or "physics" and
- "field" or "specialty" for "classical archaeology" or "nuclear physics" type of concepts.

Now I am being told that I mix up field and discipline. I know that some use both as synonyms, but this is the worst solution in my view. Any comments or references which could help?

Thanks, Franz

Franz Barjak
School of Business
University of Applied Sciences Northwestern Switzerland
Riggenbachstrasse 16
CH-4600 Olten
Switzerland
E-mail: franz.barjak at fhnw.ch
p. +41 62 287 7825, fax: +41 62 287 7845