Reward or persuasion? The battle to define the meaning of a citation

Phil Davis pmd8 at CORNELL.EDU
Thu Feb 12 10:20:22 EST 2009

David E. Wojick wrote:
"So my view is that the terms reward and persuasion are incorrect when
applied to the general theory of citations. Citations do not exist for
either reason, rather they exist of the purpose of communication.
Perhaps reward and persuasion are metaphorical, but then I have no use
for schools of sociology that view metaphors as explanations."

David,
You are approaching the communication of science from an 18th century
rationalist worldview; that is, communication is merely a transmission
of facts and is completely devoid of contextual meaning.  From this
viewpoint, a rational scientist needs no persuasion -- provide him with
the facts and he will come to the same conclusions as the author.

While you have no use for schools of sociology that view science as a
social process, ask scientists themselves how they use citations.  They
will tell you it is more than just providing the facts, ma'am.

--Phil Davis

--
Philip M. Davis
PhD Student