Reward or persuasion? The battle to define the meaning of a citation

B.G. Sloan bgsloan2 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Feb 11 15:12:58 EST 2009

David Wojick said:

"The logic is explanatory, not persuasive, so Davis's category of 'persuasion' is misleading and probably incorrect. The contrast between scientific papers, and persuasive content such as political speeches, is logically stark. The citations typically are straightforward references to additional information. The goal appears to be that of clarity of exposition, not persuasion, and indeed there is generally nothing to be persuaded of."

One could argue that the use of citations involves some measure of persuasion. The authors must convince others (reviewers, readers) that their work is worthwhile. The use of citations, although predominantly explanatory, can also bolster the case of the authors and thus has a persuasive aspect.

Whether "persuasive" or "explanatory", this use of citations seems to be a rhetorical device. So you still have the dichtomy between those who define citations as rewards, and those who see them as rhetorical devices.

Bernie Sloan
Sora Associates
Bloomington, IN

--- On Wed, 2/11/09, David E. Wojick <dwojick at HUGHES.NET> wrote:

From: David E. Wojick <dwojick at HUGHES.NET>
Subject: Re: Reward or persuasion? The battle to define the meaning of a citation
To: SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU
Date: Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 11:29 AM

I study the logic of citation in the context of the logic of science, with a relatively simple model. Mind you this says nothing about the psychology or sociology of citation.

The standard logical structure of a research paper is this:
1. What is the problem?
2. What did we do?
3. What did we find?
4. What does it mean?

Section 2 is normally the longest, while section 4 may be absent. However, most citations occur in section 1, where they are used to supplement the description of the problem, including its history. The precise role of contemporary (as opposed to historical) citations depends on how the problem is described, which may depend on the nature of the problem. For example, if there have been prior failed attempts. But mostly the citations back up the factual specification of the problem and the work leading up to the present work.

The logic is explanatory, not persuasive, so Davis's category of "persuasion" is misleading and probably incorrect. The contrast between scientific papers, and persuasive content such as political speeches, is logically stark. The citations typically are straightforward references to additional information. The goal appears to be that of clarity of exposition, not persuasion, and indeed there is generally nothing to be persuaded of.

Likewise, the choice of citations seems to be those best suited to explain the problem and approach taken. I have never seen any evidence that citations were chosen in order to reward the authors being cited, although it may well happen on occasion. Generally speaking citations are part of the evidence that one understands the problem so it would be hard to skew them. Thus Davis's term "reward" is also misleading and probably incorrect.

There is then the very different issue of how scientific communities view and use citations. They are of course widely used just as they appear, that is as references. They are also sometimes used to judge the importance of a given work, journal, etc., in the sense of the number of people who seem to be affected. This is not a reward, it is a measure, although it is certainly true that people benefit from measuring high. There is also a persuasive aspect to this in that people are likely to be persuaded that work is important if others find it so. The unfortunate bandwagon effect is part of this phenomenon, but I digress.

So my view is that the terms reward and persuasion are incorrect when applied to the general theory of citations. Citations do not exist for either reason, rather they exist of the purpose of communication. Perhaps reward and persuasion are metaphorical, but then I have no use for schools of sociology that view metaphors as explanations.

David Wojick

--

"David E. Wojick, Ph.D., PE" <WojickD at osti.gov>
Senior Consultant for Innovation