Reward or persuasion? The battle to define the meaning of a citation

Pikas, Christina K. Christina.Pikas at JHUAPL.EDU
Wed Feb 11 10:09:47 EST 2009

It’s also worth pointing out that Jeppe Nicolaisen’s recent ARIST review does discuss various calls for a theory of citation.  It also discusses psychological, normative, social constructivist, persuasion…. And other versions of why people cite things.

I highly recommend it.

Nicolaisen, J. (2007). Citation analysis. In B. Cronin (Ed.), Annual review of information science and technology (pp. 609-641). Medford, N.J.: Information Today. DOI: 10.1002/aris.2007.1440410120

ASIS&T members and subscribers to their digital library can read it online.

Christina

From: ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics [mailto:SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU] On Behalf Of Phil Davis
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 8:35 PM
To: SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU
Subject: Re: [SIGMETRICS] Reward or persuasion? The battle to define the meaning of a citation

In reading the literature, I found two very distinct camps: one arguing from the Mertonian view that citations reflect a type of reward in the form of public recognition, and the other suggesting that citations were no more than rhetorical devices for bolstering one's argument.  The reward camp is well known by people on this list. The persuasion literature is found more in the Science and Technology Studies journals, and for the most-part, is ignored by the reward camp.  There are some who try to reconcile both arguments, and I try to do this in the article (see attached).

I've received some personal correspondence that I've completely misunderstood Eugene Garfield and his intentions for creating an index based on the citation literature.  In his writings, I saw a compelling argument from the perspective of the historian of science.  I was working entirely from the literature, and did not conduct any interviews with Dr. Garfield.  If I have misunderstood his rationale(s) for the citation index, the confusion is entirely mine.

--Phil Davis

B.G. Sloan wrote:

I hadn't really thought a lot about defining the meaning of a citation as being "reward OR persuasion."

After thinking a bit about how I use citations I think I fall in the "reward AND persuasion" camp rather in either the "reward" OR "persuasion" camps.

When I write papers I use citations as a rhetorical device, which falls into the "persuasion" category. When I track citations to my papers I tend to view them as indicators of quality or impact, which falls into the "reward" category.

Bernie Sloan

Sora Associates

Bloomington, IN