Reward or persuasion? The battle to define the meaning of a citation

Jean-Claude Guédon jean.claude.guedon at UMONTREAL.CA
Wed Feb 11 07:18:02 EST 2009

For the early history of SCI, Paul Wouters' The Citation Culture cannot
be avoided, IMHO (U. of Amsterdam doctoral thesis, n.d.[1999]).

He also has an article in a festschrift written in the honour of E.
Garfield. (The Web of Knowledge (ASIS, 2000)): "Garfield as Alchemist".

Jean-Claude Guédon

Le mardi 10 février 2009 à 21:58 -0500, Godin, Benoît a écrit :

> Phil,
>

> As evidence that Eugene Garfield’s primary aim was not history but
> management (of the scientific literature, then science), see the
> following article. Note that this article is dated 1966. It is a nice
> piece of evidence, and needs to be considered alongside Eugene’s own
> story or recalling of history that you have cited.
>

> I. H. Sher and E. Garfield (1966), New Tools for Improving and
> Evaluating the Effectiveness of Research, in M. C. Yovits et al.
> (eds.), Research Program Effectiveness, New York: Gordon and Breach,
> pp. 136-146
>

> Benoît Godin
>

> Professeur, INRS (Montreal)
>

> Tel.: 1 (514) 499 4074