Reward or persuasion? The battle to define the meaning of a citation

Godin, Benoît Benoit_Godin at UCS.INRS.CA
Tue Feb 10 21:58:27 EST 2009

Phil,

As evidence that Eugene Garfield's primary aim was not history but management (of the scientific literature, then science), see the following article. Note that this article is dated 1966. It is a nice piece of evidence, and needs to be considered alongside Eugene's own story or recalling of history that you have cited.

I. H. Sher and E. Garfield (1966), New Tools for Improving and Evaluating the Effectiveness of Research, in M. C. Yovits et al. (eds.), Research Program Effectiveness, New York: Gordon and Breach, pp. 136-146

Benoît Godin

Professeur, INRS (Montreal)

Tel.: 1 (514) 499 4074

<blocked::mailto:ubenoit.godin at ucs.inrs.ca> email: benoit.godin at ucs.inrs.ca <blocked::mailto:benoit.godin at ucs.inrs.ca>