silent changes in WoS

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Fri Feb 6 16:19:55 EST 2009

> For example. Before this transformation, in September 2008, we counted
> number of Russian papers of the type "Article" published in
> 2006 (in SCIE
> and SSCI databases). It was 23367. After that, in November
> (transformation
> of the Proceeedings took place in the middle of October) the
> same search
> produced a much smaller figure. Now the same search string
>
> (CU=Russia) AND (PY=2006) AND Document Type=(Article)
>
> produces just 20601 documents.

Thee problem at the level of macro-statistics seems now to be solved:

23,490
	cu=russia and py=2006 AND Document Type=(Article OR Proceedings
Paper)
Databases=SCI-EXPANDED, SSCI, A&HCI Timespan=All Years

	This is virtually the same as you had before the changes (23,367).

The real problem seems to me that more than 10% error was introduced in the
document types. Articles were arbitrarily changed into Proceedings Papers.

Perhaps, one of our colleagues at ThomsonReuters can explain what happened?

Best wishes,

Loet

Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel. +31-20-525 6598; fax: +31-842239111
loet at leydesdorff.net ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/

Visiting Professor 2007-2010, ISTIC, Beijing; Honorary Fellow 2007-2010,
SPRU, University of Sussex
Now available: The Knowledge-Based Economy: Modeled, Measured, Simulated,
385 pp.; US$ 18.95;
The Self-Organization of the Knowledge-Based Society ; The Challenge of
Scientometrics