Liu, JW (Liu Jun-wan) IEEE Trends in Fiber Optics: Citation Analysis of the Fiber Optic SCI Papers (1974-2007) 2008 4TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON WIRELESS COMMUNICATIONS, NETWORKING AND MOBILE COMPUTING, VOLS 1-31: 11550-11553 2008

Tue Apr 14 11:24:51 EDT 2009

Email Address: liujunwan at sina.com

Author(s): Liu, JW (Liu Jun-wan)

Book Group Author(s): IEEE

Title: Trends in Fiber Optics: Citation Analysis of the Fiber Optic SCI
Papers (1974-2007)

Source: 2008 4TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON WIRELESS COMMUNICATIONS,
NETWORKING AND MOBILE COMPUTING, VOLS 1-31: 11550-11553 2008

Book series title: International Conference on Wireless Communications,
Networking and Mobile Computing

Language: English

Document Type: Proceedings Paper

Conference Title: 4th International Conference on Wireless Communications,
Networking and Mobile Computing

Conference Date: OCT 12-17, 2008

Conference Location: Dalian, PEOPLES R CHINA

Conference Sponsors: IEEE Commun Soc.; IEEE Antennas & Propagat Soc.;
Dalian Univ Technol.; Wuhan Univ.; Sci Res Publishing
.
Author Keywords: Fiber optics; Progressive knowledge domain visualization;
CiteSpace

Abstract: We analyze thematic trends and challenging issues in fiber
optics research based on the metadata of 4970 research papers indexed in
Science Citation Index (SCI) database between 1974 and 2007. We
specifically address 1) all-time prominent challenges in fiber optics, 2)
a trend of progression in fiber optics 3) the structure and dynamics of
the fiber optics community. We utilize CiteSpace, a progressive domain
visualization tool, to identify and visualize the movement of research
fronts and intellectual bases, persistent clusters of papers, and the
evolution of co-authorship networks as well as citation networks. The
result contributed an in-depth analysis of a major forum of fiber optics
and a systematic and streamlined method to keep abreast of the history and
the state of the research of fiber optics.

Addresses: Beijing Univ Technol, Sch Econ & Management, Beijing 100124,
Peoples R China

Reprint Address: Liu, JW, Beijing Univ Technol, Sch Econ & Management,
Beijing 100124, Peoples R China.

Cited Reference Count: 6

Times Cited: 0

Publisher: IEEE

Publisher Address: 345 E 47TH ST, NEW YORK, NY 10017 USA

ISBN: 978-1-4244-2107-7

29-char Source Abbrev.: I C WIREL COM NETW MOBILE COM

Source Item Page Count: 4

Subject Category: Telecommunications

ISI Document Delivery No.: BIW81

*WIK
FIB BRAGG GRAT : 2008

*WIK
OPT COH TOM : 2008

CHEN CM
CiteSpace II: Detecting and visualizing emerging trends and transient
patterns in scientific literature
JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
57 : 359 DOI 10.1002/asi.20317 2006

CHEN CM
Searching for intellectual turning points: Progressive knowledge domain
visualization
PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF
AMERICA 101 : 5303 DOI 10.1073/pnas.0307513100 2004

FITZPATRICK C
OPTICAL FIBRE SENSOR : 2008

FREUDENRICH C
FIBER OPTICS WORK : 2008