Gorraiz, J (Gorraiz, Juan); Schloegl, C (Schloegl, Christian) A bibliometric analysis of pharmacology and pharmacy journals: Scopus versus Web of Science JOURNAL OF INFORMATION SCIENCE, 34 (5): 715-725 OCT 2008

Tue Oct 28 12:32:44 EDT 2008

E-mail Address: christian.schloegl at uni-graz.at

Author(s): Gorraiz, J (Gorraiz, Juan); Schloegl, C (Schloegl, Christian)

Title: A bibliometric analysis of pharmacology and pharmacy journals:
Scopus versus Web of Science

Source: JOURNAL OF INFORMATION SCIENCE, 34 (5): 715-725 OCT 2008

Language: English

Document Type: Article

Author Keywords: bibliometric analysis; comparison of databases; data
reliability; impact factor; Journal Citation Reports; Scopus; Web of
Science

Abstract: Our study examines the suitability of Scopus for bibliometric
analyses in comparison with the Web of Science (WOS). In particular we
want to explore if the outcome of bibliometric analyses differs between
Scopus and WOS and, if yes, in which aspects. Since journal indicators
vary among disciplines, we analysed only journals from the subject
pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences. Nonetheless, our study has also
broader implications. Its major findings are: (a) Each top- 100 JCR
pharmacy journal was covered by Scopus. (b) The impact factor was higher
for 82 and the immediacy index greater for 78 journals in Scopus in 2005.
Pharmacy journals with a high impact factor in the JCR usually have a high
impact factor in Scopus. (c) Several medium impact journals could be
identified in Scopus which were not reported in JCR. (d) The two databases
differed in the number of articles within a tolerable margin of deviation
for most journals.

Addresses: [Gorraiz, Juan] Univ Vienna, Lib & Arch Serv, Cent Lib Phys, A-
1010 Vienna, Austria; [Schloegl, Christian] Graz Univ, Inst Informat Sci &
Informat Syst, A-8010 Graz, Austria

Reprint Address: Schloegl, C, Univ Str 15-F3, A-8010 Graz, Austria.

E-mail Address: christian.schloegl at uni-graz.at

Cited Reference Count: 23

Times Cited: 0

Publisher: SAGE PUBLICATIONS LTD

Publisher Address: 1 OLIVERS YARD, 55 CITY ROAD, LONDON EC1Y 1SP, ENGLAND

ISSN: 0165-5515

DOI: 10.1177/0165551507086991

29-char Source Abbrev.: J INFORM SCI

ISO Source Abbrev.: J. Inf. Sci.

Source Item Page Count: 11

Subject Category: Computer Science, Information Systems; Information
Science & Library Science

ISI Document Delivery No.: 349UQ

*SCOP
SCOP INF :

*SUB
DOK BIBL E V : 2007

ADAM D
The counting house
NATURE 415 : 726 2002

BALL R
INFORM SERVICES USE 26 : 293 2006

BAUER K
D LIB MAGAZINE 11 : 2005

BOSMAN J
SCOPUS REV COMP COVE : 2006

DEIS HF
CHARLESTON ADVISOR 7 : 2006

DEIS HF
CHARLESTON ADVISOR 6 : 2005

DESS HM
ISSUES SCI TECHNOLOG 45 : 2006

GARFIELD E
CURRENT CONTENT 0620 : 3 1994

GORRAIZ J
MITTEILUNGEN VEREINI 59 : 25 2006

JACSO P
A deficiency in the algorithm for calculating the impact factor of
scholarly journals: The journal impact factor
CORTEX 37 : 590 2001

JACSO P
As we may search - Comparison of major features of the Web of Science,
Scopus, and Google Scholar citation-based and citation-enhanced databases
CURRENT SCIENCE 89 : 1537 2005

JACSO P
J INFORM PROCESSING 48 : 763 2006

JACSO P
The number game
ONLINE INFORMATION REVIEW 24 : 180 2000

KLAVANS R
P ISSI 2007 1 : 437 2007

LAGUARDIA C
LIB J 0115 : 2005

MOED HF
Citation analysis of scientific journals and journal impact measures
CURRENT SCIENCE 89 : 1990 2005

PIPP E
MITTEILUNGEN VEREINI 59 : 3 2006

SCHLOEGL C
Document delivery as a source for bibliometric analyses: the case of
Subito
JOURNAL OF INFORMATION SCIENCE 32 : 223 DOI 10.1177/0165551506064410 2006

SCHNEIDER K
MITTEILUNGEN VEREINI 59 : 21 2006

STOCK WG
PASSWORD : 24 2001