Speaking of disciplines and normalization...

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Thu Oct 23 07:28:21 EDT 2008

Dear David,

Now that I have read this more carefully, it seems to me that this
normalization is the same as the Mean Expected Citation Rate which the
Hungarian group uses already for two decades or so. As you correctly note,
they claim on p. 4 that "(t)he distribution of the relative indicator c/c(0)
is universal for all categories considered." These are two claims in one
sentence, notably, that they found it in the 172 ISI Subject Categories and
that this is universally true. If the latter is the case, one should be able
to prove this making simple assumptions about the distribution (e.g.,
Lotka). Is this true for any Lotka distribution?

The strict analogy with voting (footnote 18) suggests that scientists are
campaigning for citations. Perhaps, we should consider ads and commercials.
:-) Some of us already have been successful in making a business of citation
analysis! Note that the analogy with voting is different from a market
metaphor. Interesting.

Best wishes,

Loet

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff
Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
 <mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net> loet at leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/

  _____