Speaking of disciplines and normalization...

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Wed Oct 22 14:45:37 EDT 2008

Dear Christina,

Thank you for noting this to the list. These authors use the 172 ISI Subject
Categories as an example, but their claim seems that however one divides the
total set into fields, rescaling to the mean for each subset does the job of
making results comparable because of the shape of the citation
distributions.

The mathematicians among us are probably able to prove this.

Best wishes,

Loet

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff
Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
 <mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net> loet at leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/

  _____