On Metrics and Metaphysics

David E. Wojick dwojick at HUGHES.NET
Wed Oct 22 11:06:44 EDT 2008

On the contrary Steve, I believe there are good objective measures to be had. It is just that field and subfield are not among them. The measures need to reflect the actual topological and metrical properties of the thing under study. In this case we are moslty talking about networks and diffusion processes. Neither is properly divisible into bounded lumps called fields. If there are sets they are fuzzy at best. In fact I was surprised to learn that scientometrics requires fields. Citation and co-authorship do not intrinsically require field attributes.

As for multiple measures, it depends on what you are trying to measure. As I have said before there seems to be a lot of data driven measurement with no clear idea what is being measured. Science has objective properties that we are trying to understand.

David Wojick