Is multidisciplinary research more highly cited? A macro-level study

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Mon Oct 13 05:04:56 EDT 2008

Dear Jonathan,

If both of you are right -- which I have no reason to doubt -- than the
aggregation at the journal level would make the difference. In that case,
this would be a nice example of the so-called ecological fallacy: what one
can see at the level of the wood, one cannot see at the level of individual
trees, and vice versa (Robertson, 1950).

Given the urgency of the matter in the UK, it may be worth testing this
hypothesis: if you would reorganize your sample in terms of the journals
involved, would then ...? Or, in other words, would interdisciplinary
articles in disciplinary journals do better than average?

Best wishes,

Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
loet at leydesdorff.net ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/