Is multidisciplinary research more highly cited? A macro-level study

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Mon Oct 13 03:00:51 EDT 2008

Dear Jonathan and Mike,

Thank you for this empirical confirmation of what everybody already guessed.

I would hypothesize that a determining factor for citation rates is the
density of the network of citations in which one publishes. (This is also
the philosophy behind the Leiden-normalization.) Allocation mechanisms on
the basis of citations would then discourage risk-taking, and encourage
remaining sheltered in the center of established specialties. Normalization
in the analysis would further reinforce this because the nearly decomposable
systems (for evolutionary reasons) are more dense in the center and more
unwoven in the periphery. Normalization tends to cut on fuzziness and
highlight the centroids in the clouds for the sake of clarity in the
representation.

(Of course, journals like Science and Nature are a different cup of coffee.)

It seems to me that this may be one of the main messages of this field to
science-policy makers: one cannot have it both ways. A focus on
interdisciplinarity may lead to innovation and "creative destruction"
(Schumpeter), but innovation will usually fail. It is entrepreneurial in
style. If one wants high rankings in an organization controled by
professional reputations (h-index?), one should think twice before taking
risks (as everyone on tenure-track knows).

Best wishes,

Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
loet at leydesdorff.net ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/