Estelle Brodman: Medical Historian-Librarian Extraordinaire - A Series of Papers in Her Honor, Journal of the Medical Library Association 96 (3)

Tue Oct 7 16:02:53 EDT 2008

Estelle Brodman was one of my earliest mentors. She was not only an
outstanding medical librarian and bibliographer but also an accomplished
medical historian.

I first met her when I joined the Welch Medical Library Research Project
in 1951 and remained her friend and admirer until her retirement. She was
a member of that remarkable group of librarians and indexers at the NLM
consisting of Samuel Lazerow, David Kronick, Seymour Taine, Robert Hayne,
Thelma Charen, Winnie Sewell and Frank B. Rogers who taught and inspired
me  during the early days of my career. It gives me great pleasure to call
attention to this series of papers in Estelle's  honor. Eugene Garfield

Author(s): Messerle, J (Messerle, Judith)
Title: Celebrating individual heroes: the continuing relevance of Estelle
Brodman
Source: JOURNAL OF THE MEDICAL LIBRARY ASSOCIATION, 96 (3): 181-182 JUL
2008

E-mail Address: jmesserle at frontiernet.net

Language: English

Document Type: Editorial Material

Addresses: Harvard Univ, Lib Med, Boston, MA 02115 USA

Reprint Address: Messerle, J, 12815 Quarry Trail, Carlinville, IL 62626
USA.

E-mail Address: jmesserle at frontiernet.net

Cited Reference Count: 1

Times Cited: 1

Publisher: MEDICAL LIBRARY ASSOC

Publisher Address: 65 EAST WACKER PLACE, STE 1900, CHICAGO, IL 60601-7298
USA

ISSN: 1536-5050

DOI: 10.3163/1536-5050.96.3.001

29-char Source Abbrev.: J MED LIBR ASSOC

ISO Source Abbrev.: J. Med. Libr. Assoc.

Source Item Page Count: 2

Subject Category: Information Science & Library Science

Cited references

ZINN N
HIST ASS ORAL HIST P : 1981

Personal Recollections of the Contributions of Estelle Brodman: An
Enduring Legacy for Health Sciences Librarianship Lucretia W. McClure E-
mail Address: Lucretia_McClure at hms.harvard.edu J Med Libr Assoc. 2008
July; 96(3): 239–241. doi: 10.3163/1536-5050.96.3.012.

Becoming an Internationalist: Reflections on the International Activities
of Estelle Brodman J. Michael Homan E-mail Address: homan at mayo.edu J Med
Libr Assoc. 2008 July; 96(3): 242–248. doi: 10.3163/1536-5050.96.3.013.

Estelle Brodman: Educator Extraordinaire Nancy M. Lorenzi E-mail Address:
nancy.lorenzi at vanderbilt.edu J Med Libr Assoc. 2008 July; 96(3): 249–254.
doi: 10.3163/1536-5050.96.3.014.

A Student of History: Perspectives on the Contributions of Estelle Brodman
Lucretia W. McClure E-mail Address: Lucretia_McClure at hms.harvard.edu J Med
Libr Assoc. 2008 July; 96(3): 255–261. doi: 10.3163/1536-5050.96.3.015.

Estelle Brodman and the First Generation of Library Automation Wayne J.
Peay and Paul Schoening E-mail Addresses: wayne at lib.med.utah.edu,
paul.schoening at wustl.edu J Med Libr Assoc. 2008 July; 96(3): 262–267. doi:
10.3163/1536-5050.96.3.016.