Krestin, GP (Krestin, Gabriel P.) Evaluating the Quality of Radiology Research: What Are the Rules of the Game? RADIOLOGY, 249 (2): 418-424 NOV 2008

Tue Nov 18 15:57:41 EST 2008

E-mail Address: g.p.krestin at erasmusmc.nl

Author(s): Krestin, GP (Krestin, Gabriel P.)

Title: Evaluating the Quality of Radiology Research: What Are the Rules of
the Game?

Source: RADIOLOGY, 249 (2): 418-424 NOV 2008

Excerpt: The best method of evaluating research performance and quality is
a complex issue without simple or satisfactory answers.  However, the
questions related to this issue will determine the path of science in the
coming years.  For this reason, this subject deserves our continued
scrutiny.  Metrics alone cannot always capture the essence of research,
but they irrefutably and objectively reveal the level of competiveness of
certain institutions and groups.  Even if scientists have difficulties
accepting the reliability of metrics as indicators of quality-and
therefore prefer the more subjective evaluation process performed by some
peers-some kind of evaluation and benchmarking will ultmately be imposed
on them by governments, policy makers, or even the general public.  I
expect that the best systems for evaluating research quality and
performance in biomedical imaging will be a combination of input,
throughput and output metrics, some of which will involve the use of peer
review as an underlying process.  I also strongly believe that we as a
biomedical imaging community need to determine our own future by adopting
our own system for evaluating imaging research quality - a system that we
can accept and endorse as an entire community.

Language: English

Document Type: Editorial Material

Keywords Plus: BIBLIOMETRIC INDICATORS; SCIENTIFIC-RESEARCH; IMPACT
FACTOR; INNOVATION; PERFORMANCE; DEPARTMENTS; SCIENCE

Addresses: Erasmus MC, Univ Med Ctr Rotterdam, Dept Radiol, NL-3015 CE
Rotterdam, Netherlands
Reprint Address: Krestin, GP, Erasmus MC, Univ Med Ctr Rotterdam, Dept
Radiol, S Gravendijkwal 230,Room Hs-218, NL-3015 CE Rotterdam,
Netherlands.

E-mail Address: g.p.krestin at erasmusmc.nl

Cited Reference Count: 36

Times Cited: 0

Publisher: RADIOLOGICAL SOC NORTH AMERICA

Publisher Address: 820 JORIE BLVD, OAK BROOK, IL 60523 USA

ISSN: 0033-8419

DOI: 10.1148/radiol.2491080832

29-char Source Abbrev.: RADIOLOGY

ISO Source Abbrev.: Radiology

Source Item Page Count: 7

Subject Category: Radiology, Nuclear Medicine & Medical Imaging

ISI Document Delivery No.: 362RS

*ORG EC COOP DEV
EV SCI RES SEL EXP : 1997

ADAM D
The counting house
NATURE 415 : 726 2002

ANDREWS F
SCI PRODUCTIVITY EFF : 1979

BANALESTANOL A
CITY U EC DISCUSSION 709 : 2007

BAUM S
What can we learn from success?
ACADEMIC RADIOLOGY 13 : 1449 DOI 10.1016/j.acra.2006.10.006 2006

BRINN T
Measuring research quality: peer review 1, citation indices 0
OMEGA-INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MANAGEMENT SCIENCE 28 : 237 2000

ERNST E
DRAWBACKS OF PEER-REVIEW
NATURE 363 : 296 1993

FESTEN C
REPORT RES MANAGEMEN : 2004

FLORIDA R
IND KNOWLEDGE U IND : 589 1999

GARFIELD E
CURR CONTENTS : 34 1976

HIRSCH JE
An index to quantify an individual's scientific research output
PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF
AMERICA 102 : 16569 DOI 10.1073/pnas.0507655102 2005

HORROBIN DF
THE PHILOSOPHICAL BASIS OF PEER-REVIEW AND THE SUPPRESSION OF INNOVATION
JAMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION 263 : 1438 1990

ITAGAKI MW
Impact of the national institutes of health on radiology research
RADIOLOGY 247 : 213 DOI 10.1148/radiol.2471070745 2008

ITAGAKI MW
Factors associated with academic radiology research productivity
RADIOLOGY 237 : 774 DOI 10.1148/radiol.2373041508 2005

JONISCH AI
What characterizes academic radiology departments that secure large
amounts of external funding for research?
ACADEMIC RADIOLOGY 13 : 1513 DOI 10.1016/j.acra.2006.09.052 2006

KING J
A REVIEW OF BIBLIOMETRIC AND OTHER SCIENCE INDICATORS AND THEIR ROLE IN
RESEARCH EVALUATION
JOURNAL OF INFORMATION SCIENCE 13 : 261 1987

LEVITT MD
Research funding: The means has become the end
JOURNAL OF LABORATORY AND CLINICAL MEDICINE 146 : 159 DOI
10.1016/j.lab.2005.06.001 2005

LUUKKONEN T
BIBLIOMETRICS AND EVALUATION OF RESEARCH PERFORMANCE
ANNALS OF MEDICINE 22 : 145 1990

MAGUIRE MA
J AM COLL RADIOL 2 : 436 2005

MCMILLAN GS
An analysis of the critical role of public science in innovation: the case
of biotechnology
RESEARCH POLICY 29 : 1 2000

MOED HF
DEV BIBLIOMETRIC IND : 2007

MOED HF
THE APPLICATION OF BIBLIOMETRIC INDICATORS - IMPORTANT FIELD-DEPENDENT AND
TIME-DEPENDENT FACTORS TO BE CONSIDERED
SCIENTOMETRICS 8 : 177 1985

MORRIS N
The developing role of departments
RESEARCH POLICY 31 : 817 2002

NEDERHOF AJ
PEER-REVIEW AND BIBLIOMETRIC INDICATORS OF SCIENTIFIC PERFORMANCE - A
COMPARISON OF CUM LAUDE DOCTORATES WITH ORDINARY DOCTORATES IN PHYSICS
SCIENTOMETRICS 11 : 333 1987

NELSON R
THE SIMPLE ECONOMICS OF BASIC SCIENTIFIC-RESEARCH
JOURNAL OF POLITICAL ECONOMY 67 : 297 1959

NOYONS EC
CT20020001 ECPPLS U : 2003

OPTHOF T
Sense and nonsense about the impact factor
CARDIOVASCULAR RESEARCH 33 : 1 1997

PAOLILLO J
MULTIVARIATE APPROACH TO PERCEIVED INNOVATION IN R AND D SUBSYSTEMS
IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON ENGINEERING MANAGEMENT 26 : 36 1979

RENNIE D
EDITORIAL PEER REV I : 1999

SCHNITZLER K
HIS KURZINFORMATIO A 11 : 1995

SEGLEN PO
Why the impact factor of journals should not be used for evaluating
research
BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL 314 : 498 1997

SIZER J
STUD HIGH EDUC 13 : 101 1998

TAYLOR J
HIGHER ED Q 55 : 42 2001

VANRAAN AFJ
Advanced bibliometric methods as quantitative core of peer review based
evaluation and foresight exercises
SCIENTOMETRICS 36 : 397 1996

WALTER G
Counting on citations: a flawed way to measure quality
MEDICAL JOURNAL OF AUSTRALIA 178 : 280 2003

WEALE AR
BMC MED RES METHODOL 4 : 14 2004