Witten, IH (Witten, Ian H.) Searching ... in a web JOURNAL OF UNIVERSAL COMPUTER SCIENCE, 14 (10): 1739-1762 2008

Wed Nov 12 11:44:27 EST 2008

E-mail Address: ihw at cs.waikato.ac.nz

Author(s): Witten, IH (Witten, Ian H.)

Title: Searching ... in a web

Source: JOURNAL OF UNIVERSAL COMPUTER SCIENCE, 14 (10): 1739-1762 2008

Language: English

Document Type: Proceedings Paper

Author Keywords: search engines; web search; PageRank; search bias;
privacy; personalization; information ethics
Abstract: Search engines-"web dragons"-are the portals through which we
access society's treasure trove of information. They do not publish the
algorithms they use to sort and filter information, yet what they do and
how they do it are amongst the most important questions of our time. They
deal not just with information per se, but evaluate it in order to
prioritize it for the user. To do this they assess the prestige of each
web page in terms of who links to it. This article explains in non-
technical terms what is known about how web search engines work. We
describe the dominant way of measuring prestige, relating it to the
experience of a surfer condemned to click randomly around the web forever-
and also to standard techniques of bibliometric evaluation. We review
alternatives: some strive to identify subcommunities of the web; others
learn based on implicit user feedback. We also takes a critical look at
how people use search engines, and identify issues of bias, privacy, and
personalization that crucially affect our world of information today.

Addresses: Univ Waikato, Dept Comp Sci, Hamilton, New Zealand

Reprint Address: Witten, IH, Univ Waikato, Dept Comp Sci, Hamilton, New
Zealand.

E-mail Address: ihw at cs.waikato.ac.nz

Cited Reference Count: 13

Times Cited: 0

Publisher: GRAZ UNIV TECHNOLGOY, INST INFORMATION SYSTEMS COMPUTER MEDIA-
IICM

Publisher Address: INFFELDGASSE 16C, GRAZ, A-8010, AUSTRIA

ISSN: 0948-695X

29-char Source Abbrev.: J UNIVERS COMPUT SCI

ISO Source Abbrev.: J. Univers. Comput. Sci.

Source Item Page Count: 24

Subject Category: Computer Science, Software Engineering; Computer
Science, Theory & Methods

ISI Document Delivery No.: 356DW

BARABASI AL
LINKED NEW SCI NETWO : 2002

BRIN S
The anatomy of a large-scale hypertextual Web search engine
COMPUTER NETWORKS AND ISDN SYSTEMS 30 : 107 1998

BRODER A
Graph structure in the Web
COMPUTER NETWORKS-THE INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF COMPUTER AND
TELECOMMUNICATIONS NETWORKING 33 : 309 2000

BURGES C
P INT C MACH LEARN B : 2005

DAVISON BD
P 8 INT WORLD WID WE : 148 1999

DILIGENTI M
P 18 INT JOINT C ART : 575 2003

EGGHE L
INTRO INFORM : 1990

GARFIELD E
CITATION ANALYSIS AS A TOOL IN JOURNAL EVALUATION - JOURNALS CAN BE RANKED
BY FREQUENCY AND IMPACT OF CITATIONS FOR SCIENCE POLICY STUDIES
SCIENCE 178 : 471 1972

GIBSON D
HYPERTEXT 98 : 225 1998

KLEINBERG JM
Authoritative sources in a hyperlinked environment
JOURNAL OF THE ACM 46 : 604 1999

WITTEN IH
DATA MINING : 2005

WITTEN IH