No subject

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Wed Nov 5 15:05:48 EST 2008

Dear Ludo,

Yes, I know your paper; as you know mine of 2005 entitled "Similarity
measures, author cocitation analysis, and information theory" [JASIST,
56(7), 769 - 772] in which I argued for using the type of measures you
advocate. They are very elegant, but not included in major software packages
and therefore computationally not user-friendly.

In practice the cosine is a convenient similarity measure and it has
advantages above the Pearson in the case of many zeros in the occurrence
matrix (Ahlgren et al., 2003). Because the cosine runs from zero to one, it
becomes then an urgent question to know which cosine value corresponds with
a positive correlation because r = 0 is a clear and easily understood
threshold value. Much depends of course on the research question; one may be
particularly interested in negative correlations, for example. In many
cases, however, one is interested in distinguishing between positive and
negative correlations.

More generally, there is a large number of similarity measures. I agree that
information-theoretical ones are very elegant because they allow for
asymmetries in the similarity, for combining the similarity measure and the
cluster analysis, and for an extension with the time dimension. My 1995-book
("The Challenge of Scientometrics"; particularly Chapter 9) is on using
information theory for addressing research questions in science and
technology studies.

Best wishes,

Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
loet at leydesdorff.net ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/