The Knowledge-Based Economy: Globalization and Self-Organization in the Dynamics of Communication

David E. Wojick dwojick at HUGHES.NET
Sat Jun 28 12:55:52 EDT 2008

Dear Loet, my point is that most of the knowledge in the knowledge
based economy is not scientific knowledge. I take you to be arguing
that science is becoming, or has become, the third coordinating
mechanism in society, to rival economic activity and government
control. If that is indeed your claim then I disagree. If you are
merely saying that there are cases where science is important then we
agree completely.

I would say that the role of science in the knowledge revolution is
like its role in the industrial revolution, important but by no means
the driving force. Moreover, the impact of science is not by means of
the flow of scientific knowledge (or code of communication).
Scientific knowledge is used to produce technology and it is the
diffusion of this technology whereby the impact of science occurs.
This is why the impact is so hard to trace and measure, the science
does not flow with the technology.

It is my understanding that this group is mostly interested in the
impact of science on science, but the impact of science on the
knowlede economy seems like a closely related topic. However, for the
reasons described above it probably requires different mehods of
analysis. Products do not carry citations, would that they did. In
some cases patents provide the middle ground and we are trying to
link patents back to basic research so as to tie the science to the
technology. Progress is slow.

Best regards,
David