Citation statistics

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Sun Jun 15 14:08:02 EDT 2008

>  But what all this valuable, valid cautionary discussion overlooks is not
> only the possibility but the *empirically demonstrated fact* that there
> exist metrics that are highly correlated with human expert rankings.

Dear Steven,

It seems to me that it is difficult to generalize from one setting in which
human experts and certain ranks coincided to the *existence *of such
correlations across the board. Much may depend on how the experts are
selected. I did some research in which referee reports did not correlate
with citation and publication measures.

Human experts are necessarily selected from a population of experts, and it
is often difficult to delineate between fields of expertise. Similarly, we
know from quite some research that citation and publication practices are
field-specific and that fields are not so easy to delineate. Results may be
very sensitive to choices made, for example, in terms of citation windows.

Thus, I am bit doubtful about your claims of an "empirically demonstrated
fact."

With best wishes,