[Eval of two methods for correcting the impact factor using the investigation done at the "Del Rio Hortega" University Hospital (1999-2004) as the data source] Gonzalez-Sagrado, M et al, J L Nutr Hosp 23 (2) : 111-8 2008 Mar-Apr

Thu Jun 12 11:28:57 EDT 2008

Email Address: gonzalez-sagrado at arrakis.es

PubMed ID: 18449446

Publication Type: English Abstract; Journal Article

Title: [Evaluation of two methods for correcting the impact factor using
the investigation done at the "Del Rio Hortega" University Hospital (1999-
2004) as the data source]

Vernacular Title: Evaluacion de dos metodos de correccion del Factor de
Impacto utilizando la investigacion del H.U. "Del rio Hortega" (1999-2007)
como fuentes de datos.

Author(s): Gonzalez-Sagrado, M; Luis Roman, D A de; Conde-Vicente, R;
Izaola, O; Aller, R; Perez-Castrillon, J L

Source: Nutr Hosp 23 (2) : 111-8 2008 Mar-Apr

Language: Spanish

Abstract: BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVE: To adjust the Impact Factor (IF)
provided by the Institute for Scientific Information (ISI) is necessary
for improving bibliometric analysis among the various areas of knowledge.
Our objective was to evaluate two parameters (the maximum and the median
value of each subject area) for IF adjustment using the original (not
corrected) IF as the reference method in a tertiary hospital biomedical
investigation model. MATERIAL AND METHOD: We retrieved articles from
Hospital Universitario "Del Rio Hortega" from Valladolid (Spain) for the
period 1999-2004 as data source. We have describe the characteristics of
the followed IF distributions: IF Corrected by the Maximum value
(IFCORMAX), IF Corrected by the Median value (IFCORMED) and IF without
adjustments (IF). Besides, we have analyzed both the inter-annual and the
inter-subject differences obtained by the three methods. RESULTS: The
three analyzed IF series shown not normal distributions that are
positively skewed. The IF adjusted by the median showed the highest
coefficient of variation (CV = 357.3%). The IF adjusted by the Maximum
value increased the "weight" of journals with the highest not corrected IF
for each subject category. Inter-annual differences were similarly
estimated by the three methods. The IF adjusted by the median increased
the inter-subject difference from 7.3% to 12.4%. CONCLUSIONS: Our results
suggests that IF adjusted by the maximum value of each discipline is the
best method to correct the ISI-IF values, because journals with the high
IF are always rewarded, while IF adjusted by the median infra-estimated
most of them.

Address: Unidad de Apoyo a la Investigacion, Hospital Universitario Del
Rio Hortega, Valladolid, Spain.
gonzalez-sagrado at arrakis.es

Citation Subset: Index Medicus

ISSN: 0212-1611