No subject

Thomas Krichel krichel at OPENLIB.ORG
Sat Jul 26 03:49:02 EDT 2008

  Eugene Garfield writes

> News of the Week
>
> SOCIOLOGY:
> Survey Finds Citations Growing Narrower as Journals Move Online
>
> Jennifer Couzin

> Oddly, "our studies show the opposite," says Carol Tenopir, an
> information scientist at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. She and
> her statistician colleague Donald King of the University of North
> Carolina, Chapel Hill, have surveyed thousands of scientists over the
> years for their scholarly reading habits.

  I suspect what the surveyed scientists say they do is not what
  they actually do. As a colleage once suggested to me, if you
  ask a reader what book the library should buy for her, she will
  tell you what she thinks she ought to read, rather than what she
  actually reads.

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                    http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                                RePEc:per:1965-06-05:thomas_krichel